The National Archives education team’s film of the month highlights a Pathé film relating to current events, anniversaries or key topics that you may be covering in the classroom.
This month’s clip is ‘Post much earlier this Christmas!’– a film about the Post Office attempting Christmas deliveries during the Blitz.
With this film, students could consider:
• Why do Christmas presents need to be sent earlier in 1940?
• What are the main issues faced by post workers?
• What was the Blackout? How did it impact services?
• What do the Post Office do with post addressed to damaged houses?
• What did the public have to do if they had been forced to move?
• What is the purpose of this film? Consider the ending in particular.
• What is the general tone of this film? Is it what you expect from a country at war?