The National Archives education team’s film of the month highlights a Pathé film relating to current events, anniversaries or key topics that you may be covering in the classroom.
This month’s clip is ‘Father Christmas Trailer’– a film from the Ministry of Information encouraging the public to post early at Christmas.
With this film, students could consider:
- Why is Father Christmas pacing around his house?
- What happened on Christmas Eve?
- What does Father Christmas want people to do?
- Why does the ‘December 18th’ sound a little different? What does this suggest about the Ministry of Information’s plans for the film?
- What are the main issues faced by postal workers at Christmas? What issues are they facing this year?
- This film was made in 1944, what issues were they facing then?
This film could be used for considering changes through time, significant events, students of Media Studies looking at animation, and also serves us as a reminder to post early this Christmas.